Information & Form Links

Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC) Overview
New MN State Law
Test for Independent Contractor Status
Instructions for completing an Exception Certificate
Exemption Certificate Application Form
Fact Sheet
Residential Building Contractors Application
Minnesota 2% IC 1099 Withholding Requirements
PainterConsulting, Inc. 
A Minnesota Corporation
| Home | Personal Taxes | Business Taxes | Start a Business | Business Services | Consulting | Directions to Office | Contact Us | Forms | Occupational Deduction Worksheet |


If your business hires independent contractors and gives them a 1099 at the end of the tax year, beginning January 1, 2009 those independent contractors will be considered your employees by the State of Minnesota. 

Your options are:

  1. Hire your Independent Contractors  (ICs) as employees.

  2. Have your ICs get an Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate before January 1, 2009. Click here to see if they qualify.

  3. After January 1, 2009, Construction Contractors will be required to deduct 2% as Minnesota state income tax withholding from individual Independent Contractor 1099s over $600. Click here for state requirements.

  4. Let us create a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or S Corporation and then you can contract with the new business.  Click here to start a new LLC or S Corp.

Call us for more information:  651 917-3727.

DISCLAIMER: The information at this web site is for advertising and general information purposes. This information is not intended to be used without consultation with PainterConsulting, Inc.  We recommend you contact the firm for specific questions.